Friday, November 16, 2007

Road Kill

Well it was more like suicide on his part. While driving into town the other day on an errand, I was passing by a corn field near our house, when suddenly this large Fox Squirrel came running out of it right in front of me. I swerved to avoid it, but it was determined. I felt the crunch under my rear tire. I looked in the rear view mirror, and there it laid. I backed up to assess the situation an remove it from the road. Mr. Squirrel's poor little head was crushed. It couldn't have been a quicker kill if I had used a shotgun. But the rest of him looked alright so I took it home and skinned it and all was well, no bruising or broken bones in the rest of it's body. So tonight I put him in the slow cooker to cook until tomorrow when he will end up as a fine stew.
My wife has been kidding me about eating ROAD KILL, but it was fresh, because my car killed it. I was brought up with a "waste not want not" point of view and to hunt by the theory of "you kill it, you eat it" philosophy (with a few minor exceptions, like varmints, etc.).
I am sure my daughters will cringe while reading this, but it is local food and organic to a point. It is also healthy food.
Today was the opening day of gun deer season and last night I had the "FEVER" bad. This was the first time that I really wanted to go deer hunting in many years. Even before the Post Polio Syndrome slapped me down. I had planned on building a heated blind on our property and hoping for a chance encounter, but just couldn't find the time or ambition to make it. Maybe next year. I did go out with my cross-bow a couple of times but since the limb had cracked during pre-season target practice, I didn't have much faith in anything but a real close shot. My conscious got the best of me, I hated the thought of only wounding an animal and not having a quick, clean kill. So until I get a new bow for my cross-bow I won't use it. After all, I do have my own set of hunting ethics instilled by my Great-Uncle Joe Baker who was a mentor to many of my hunting and fishing skills. And of course Ol' Fred Bear. But those are stories for another time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay, as a teen I would have been mortified, especailly if you had told everyone in the world, like you just did!! :) But now I have nothing but respect for those self-suffiency skills you have that my generation lacks. I wish there was a way to "download" all that knowledge you have so it's not lost forever. So...you're going to teach Eric and I how to dress out our ducks and turkeys next fall....right? We'd be lost w/o you!