Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Owen's Snowmobile

Doesn't he look sweet.

Owen's other Grandpa races snowmobiles so naturally he had to get his grandson one. 
He made the long trip down here to deliver it last weekend. 

Dad trying to show him the ropes.

Notice how it has been personalised with his name between the racing flags = 01.

Owen and his other Grandpa.

Yes he really loves his Grandpa and enjoys every visit. 
It is too bad that he lives over 300 miles away.
I am sure they both enjoy more playtime together.

Haming it up for the camera.

But speaking of snowmobiles, I hope Owen has better luck than me.

I have only been on a snowmobile a few of times and only as a passenger, that was way back in my teen years. Once on a short ride in Boy Scouts to get me to a location in a hurry. It was in the spring with slushy snow and my back got drenched and I was wet and cold for the rest of the day. Another time was with a neighbor's son who raced them, on a very modified super fast snowmobile. It was a fast ride that ended in near disaster.

He wanted to find a field of snow to try his latest modifications out in, and I told him where he could find one, but he insisted that I go with him. When we got to the field he hit the gas and the runners never touched down. As we neared the end of the field I tried to warn him that it was nothing but ice, but by that time we were going so fast that the ending was inevitable. At the end of the field was an old barbed wire fence some small trees and bushes and of course a rock pile. As we hit the ice I managed to holler "FENCE" but the runners had no purchase on the ice an he couldn't turn, he hollered "DUCK".

Luckily the snow had built up at fence/tree line and we managed to clear all of the bigger trees and most of the rock pile. I remember flying through the air thinking "this is going to hurt" and then strangely, "how pretty the frost and snow was on the trees in the nearby woods", just before hitting the ground.

There was enough snow on the other side to help cushion the fall. Neither of us were hurt seriously but the snowmobile was a mess. The windscreen was torn in half and the guys snowmobile suit had a big tear in it, and my hat, was gone. I think the fence got them. The runners were torn off, the fiberglass hood was shattered and debris was everywhere. The remainder of the sled landed about a foot away from the driver.

Needless to say we were both lucky to be alive and without any broken bones. As we limped home about a mile away, he told me we were going in excess of 100 mph before I warned him about the ice and he tried real hard to slow us down. My extra weight was something he didn't take into consideration when he hit the throttle, and it was all he could do to keep us from flipping. With me holding on to him and pulling him backwards he couldn't release the throttle, and he didn't think we slowed down all that much until the rock pile. He and his dad later retrieved the snowmobile and he went on many more years of racing.

I on the other hand, while not afraid of them, choose not to participate in the sport of snowmobiling. Many years of working outside in the winter has left me with a better way to spend my leisure time, INSIDE where it is warm.

My wife has mentioned a few times over the years that it would be nice to have one, especially when we would get snowed in for long periods. But somehow we have never gotten one.

1 comment:

Reddunappy said...

O he is so cute!!! LOve that hat too!! LOL