Monday, December 12, 2011

From a Different Perspective

















Life is full of ups and downs.  And I seem to getting down a lot lately.
The other day my chiropractor said that I really need to spend a lot less time on the ground.
I told him, "But you miss so much with your eyes almost six feet above the ground."
I don't need the Discovery channel to see the grass growing or bugs moving around.  My left leg has that all covered with it's keen ability to just not be there for me at times, which provides me with a close up viewing of sights I haven't noticed since I was a child.  And when was the last time you looked straight up at the sky?

Being tall has it's disadvantages too, it's a lot farther to fall.  And a lot of things just don't fit right.  Clothes, chairs and sofas are too low, beds and blankets are too short, that bottom shelf at the store is impossible to reach, yes life is tough on the above average height group.  Have you ever gotten into a short person's car to drive and forgot to move the seat back first?  And speaking of cars, OMG !!!  Are all car designers 4.5 ft. tall or what.  Recently I went on a trip to Florida with friends and their car had molded head rests that may have been comfortable for a shorter person, but the tops hit me in the back of head forcing my head down at an un-natural angle when I sat back comfortably.  Try that for 12 hrs. a day for 2 days straight.

I also worked for 30 years as a grain elevator employee.  They are designed by double jointed midgets with a sick sense of humor, who are bound and determined to make tall people suffer for their shortness.  I actually met a few of them. Oh, they are nice enough to your face, but don't turn your back on them.  I really felt sorry for our maintenance crew, anybody who wasn't built like a dwarf didn't last long.

Anyway, last week we were watching our grandson Owen and he wanted to go outside and play with the goats. I happened to remember the camera so the following photos are the result of our adventure.

At 2.4 years of age he has mastered driving.

Fern anxiously awaiting her playmate.



















Ugh Oh, this is a bad idea.


Ok, backing up on uneven ground wasn't smart either.


Another one bites the dust.

Okay, I'll go check on Dad.




























A little HELP here please...




















I ain't picking him up.....


Maybe he just need's a kiss.














So see, it ain't all bad, just takes a little different perspective.

6 comments:

warren said...

I just saw your paint job...grumpy's toy! Is that yours or....oh nevermind

GreyWolf said...

Well let just say it WAS a gift for me and leave it at that....

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

hehe! That was very funny and cute. If I fall down in my goat paddock, I'd be in trouble. They'd be using me as a jumping platform and a place to lie down and take a nap. And I'd be struggling to breathe! lol!

I can relate to your tall person issues being that I am just shy of 6' tall myself. I am iffy on uneven ground, too, after I had my ACL surgery. Sometimes that knee just buckles over and gives out. I feel for ya!

I love your sense of humor and positive outlook on the indignities of life. :)

~Lisa

GreyWolf said...

Well the way I see it, you can either sit and sulk or make the best with what you've got. I did the sit and sulk for a while, but it just wasn't very productive. With my PPS, if you don't use it you lose it and if you do use it you lose it. So I might as well use it while I can and worry about the rest later. I am getting much better at falling and can usually handle it ok if nothing gets in my way (ie. animals, furniture, walls,farm implements, etc.) Last week I fell 4 times in one day. Twice because my leg gave out, once because of uneven ground and the last time because I forgot about the long trailer hitch on my pickup. I had no serious injuries but the last one sent me into the wall of the house and sprained my back a bit. That's why I go to the chiropractor every 2 weeks. It keeps me limbered up and gives him a chance to set things right again.
He told me I should use my cane or walker all of the time. I told him sure just what I need something to fall on...LOL

robin said...

Hoping you and yours have the Merriest of Chrismas's and a very Happy New Year

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Just wanted to say....Merry Christmas from Lisa and the entire herd at the Laughing Orca Ranch!!