Thursday, December 4, 2008

Chicken Chickens




Our free-range chickens don't seem to like snow. When it was just a dusting of snow it didn't even phase them, but now that the ground is covered it's a whole new story.



They wouldn't even come out of the coop until Wifey shoveled their run.



Our brave rooster wouldn't even attempt coming out of the run.



He just kept trying to force the hens out.



Finally one of the Grey Leghorns took it upon herself to give it a try, so he HAD to come out to show his bravery, but then ducked right back inside.



Some of the other grey leghorn's joined the first one and they had the whole 5 aces to themselves, and took advantage of a few clear spots to get in some greens.

The rest of the flock just watched from the safety of the run and missed out!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's funny! I never knew chickens were chicken. Do they taste like chicken too?

Sorry for you that you have snow though! We have rain now but at least it's above freezing for now (though that is about to change!)

Chicken Herder from Westville said...

My chickens would not come out either. I went in and swept the snow with my broom, path after path for them to run around in, they came out in full force!

GreyWolf said...

Warren: As a matter of fact they taste "JUST LIKE CHICKEN" only better!
We are heading down into the teens starting tonight...YIPPEE!!!
We will probably have frozen chicken on a stick in the morning.

Chicken Hearder: You can come and sweep snow for my chickens anytime.
Thanks for stopping by.

Country Girl said...

Our chickens were not very impressed with the snow either.

Danni said...

How pretty they look against the backdrop of the snow.
I think that top picture is hilarious - where they're all crammed into that one corner of bare ground, not daring to step onto the white! Funny!!

frugalmom said...

I dont like to come out of my house when it snows, either.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

lol! These are really great photos, and especially commentary, GW :)
You had me giggling. Silly big 'ol roo!
There's just something about those leghorns, eh?
I have two brown leghorn hens that are always bolder and more brave and curious than all my other chickens. They were the first ones to jump on my lap when I'd sit in their coop. Then they'd stare at me as if they were saying, 'Hey you, either sit still so I can lay down and take a nap, or get up off this chair, will ya'! lol!

Remember Foghorn rooster from those cartoons? Wasn't he a leghorn, too?

~Lisa
New Mexico

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog and am enjoying catching up on your posting.

Beautiful birds and gorgeous snow!!!